If you are a Jeep owner, you probably know it can be a little difficult to take the hard top off of your Jeep all by yourself. You most likely need a friend or two to give you a hand, which can become a pain. There is a way to take the top off all by yourself using a hoist that you can make with just a handful of materials. Here are instructions on how to make your own hard top hoist for your Jeep.
- 4 eyebolts
- 2 ratchet straps (weight capacity should hold your top)
- Park your Jeep in your garage and mark where the front of your top lines up and the back of your Jeep top lines up. Make four markings on the ceiling of your garage—two for the front and two for the back. These markings will be where you will put your eyebolts.
- Begin screwing in your eyebolts. Be sure they hit a stud in the ceiling of your garage. You may need to make a few adjustments to be sure you hit a stud. The studs provide a strong support for your Jeep top.
- Next, attach your ratchet straps to the back two eyebolts. The ratchet straps will need to be long enough to wrap beneath the top of your Jeep top and back up to the other set of eyebolts. The straps will also need to be strong enough to hold your Jeep top. Make sure it's durable and strong.
- Open the back window of your Jeep and unlock your Jeep top in the front and back. Place your ratchet strap in between the window and your top, then through the front of your Jeep top. Attach the ratchet straps to the other set of eyebolts.
- Begin ratcheting both ratchet straps and the hard top will start to lift off of your Jeep. Lock your ratchet straps in place and then leave it suspended on the hoist until you want to put it back on your Jeep.
This do-it-yourself hard top hoist works for both two and four door Jeeps. It enables you to take your hard top off all by yourself, without having to call for back-up every time you want to drive topless. The hoist also allows you to keep your hard top off of your garage floor, which can take up a lot of space. For assistance, talk to a professional like Expressway Dodge.